September 25 2020 – Diana L
So it's that time of year. The time of year you crave anything pumpkin - pumpkin spice bread, pumpkin pie, pumpkin ice cream (yes it does exist, and yes, it is yummy!) and of course the favorite... pumpkin spice chai tea latte. Why this isn't a year-round "thing" I have no idea, but with this recipe, you can now decide when Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea latte season is (instead of the coffee shop on the corner having all the control).
As I looked high and low for a delicious recipe to share with you, I found it was quite an undertaking for a simple cup of deliciousness. A few key issues I was looking for:
- A nice, warm pumpkin-spiced chai tea latte
- A latte that doesn't have a gazillion calories per cup
- A recipe I can whip up and enjoy in the morning (and not require prep until noon before I can drink it)
Now if you're truly looking for a recipe that has a thick, richness to it from pumpkin pureé so that it almost becomes a meal in itself, then by all means, put on your apron and go for it.
For me, I just want a delicious cup of tea, with pumpkin spices and a bit of sweetness, and top it off with some creaminess.
How to make "my" perfect Maple Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte
- 1-1/2 cups milk (whole milk, low-fat, non-fat, almond, coconut)
- 1-2 T Pumpkin Spice Chai Tea
(For stronger flavor, use less milk or add more tea to the steep.)
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 - 2 T pure maple syrup (added for sweetness, adjust to taste)
- Dash of ground cinnamon, nutmeg, or allspice
- Choose your dairy: milk, almond milk or coconut milk to achieve the flavor, calorie, and nutrition content you prefer. (Each are delicious in their own way.)
- Heat milk in a saucepan until steaming.
- Stir in the Pumpkin Spice Chai tea into pot and steep 5-7 minutes.
- Strain the tea into your cup.
- Blend in the vanilla extract and maple syrup.
- Froth up a little more dairy with a hand frother to desired creaminess. (Seriously, if you don't have one, you need one of these!)
- Spoon milk froth over the top of your tea to taste.
Lightly dust with ground cinnamon, nutmeg, star anise, or allspice.
- For a little more sweetness, drizzle a bit more maple syrup over the top.
Does a Chai Tea Latte Have Caffeine?
Depending on what time of day you are craving a chai tea latte, caffeine content of a chai tea latte is a good question to consider! The answer all depends on the type of chai tea you are using in your latte.
This recipe uses our Pumpkin Spice Chai tea which is a naturally caffeine-free Honeybush tea blend.
Looking for a latte with caffeine? Check out this recipe for a Green Tea Chai latte for a creamy delicious latte made with our Green Chai tea. Green tea comes from the Camellia sinensis plant, and will contain caffeine.