Scallops are an excellent source of trace minerals such as selenium, zinc, and copper that are important to our health but often ignored.
Including scallops in your diet can provide you with these important trace minerals, as well as high-quality protein and anti-inflammatory omega-3 fatty acids.
Scallops are more than 80 percent protein. One 3-ounce serving provides 20 grams of protein. They're also a good source of both magnesium and potassium.
This pan-seared scallop recipe uses Earl Grey tea to add a rich flavor to a classic butter sauce, with a touch of sweetness from the orange juice. A few scallops are perfect for an appetizer or served atop sautéed spinach and rice these pan-seared scallops make a delicious entrée.
- 1-1/2 tsp. canola or other vegetable oil
- 1 Tbs. finely chopped shallot
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/2 cup freshly squeezed, strained orange juice
- 4 oz. (8 Tbs.) unsalted butter, 6 Tbs. chilled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 2 tsp. very finely ground Earl Grey tea
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 lb. large dry-packed sea scallops (16 to 20), side muscles removed, blotted dry
In a 1-quart saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat, add the shallot, and cook, stirring, until golden. Add the wine and orange juice and boil until reduced to 1/4 cup, about 7 minutes.
Reduce the heat to low and whisk in the butter cubes, a few at a time. Don’t let the mixture boil. Once all the butter has been incorporated, stir in the tea and season to taste with salt and pepper. Keep warm over the turned-off burner.
How to Pan-sear Scallops
In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, melt 1 Tbs. of the remaining butter over medium-high heat until foaming. Season the scallops with salt and pepper, add half of them to the pan, and cook until browned on both sides but still slightly translucent in the middle, about 2 minutes per side. Wipe out the pan and repeat with the remaining butter and scallops. Transfer to plates, spoon the sauce over the scallops, and serve.
Thank you @finecooking for this delicious meal!